Wednesday, January 31, 2018

Shopping in Bombay

Surprise Anniversary Cake in Room 
Coconut Street Vendor

New Flower Decoration in Room on Floor

Bathtub with Heart Balloons


Trishna: Squid Koliwadi, Pomfret Hyderabadi Style

Trishna: Shelled Crab with Butter, Pepper Garlic Sauce

Trisha: Pulao

Trishna: 

Taj: Cognac and Chocolate in Club Room
Sunrise over the Arabian Sea viewed from our suite

We realized a few days ago, what a pleasant vacation this has been. We didn’t have to run around all the time. We have already seen a lot of the sights in Mumbai. We could just relax and enjoy the never-ending pleasures of the Taj.

We wanted to bring back some gifts for friends, so we dedicated the day to shopping. Colaba, the area that the Taj is located has lots of stores. We walked the streets popping in checking them out. We eventually found everything we were looking for. The temperature varies greatly in Mumbai. During mid-day the temperature rises to 95 degrees with high humidty. About 4pm it dramatically drops off becoming very pleasant. Mumbai is building an Metro system that will run underground into this historic area. I can’t wait for it to be completed. Being India, I might have to wait!

Cathy had her #metoo moment. Traditionally I have great fun negotiating purchases. Cricket is not the national sport of India, bargaining is! I enjoy the game of bargaining although I know in the end I will not will at the game. Since it is our anniversary, and since there is a wonderful jewelry store in the Taj, we had to check it out. Cathy saw a piece that appealed to her. We asked the price. We thanked them and left. I said to Cathy “I can get it for a particular price, if we returned and I bargained for it”. While I was in the Spa, she went back to the store and negotiated without me and purchased the jewelry. She has a acquired a new skill!

I finally had a chance to go to my favorite barber: Truefitt & Hill, they are the Bombay branch of this famous London barbershop.
My beard is now trimmed. Later I visited the Spa while Cathy had her hair washed.

We had drinks with Richard in the Club Room then taxied to Trisha, our favorite Mumbai fish restaurant. It never changes, the food was exactly what I remembered from our many previous dinners there. A fantastic dinner, with a bottle of wine was only $ 100.00.

After dinner we walked through the neighborhood Kala Ghoda (Black Horse) neighborhood surrounding Trishna. We wondered down the back lanes. There is a vibrant night seen of hawkers and people shopping or just talking out on the street. We felt totally safe. We are amazed that these old buildings, many built during the Raj, are being upgraded to cool flats and stores. There is a vibrancy here as the neighborhood is revitalizing.


We returned to the Taj after our stroll for Cognac and Chocolate at the Club Room. It is a wonderful way to end the night. Cathy was ready for bed, I went outside by the pool to join Richard and a Siddhartha Das, a friend of Richard from Delhi for conversation about art and India. Siddhartha designs art installations and public spaces. His father who is an artist, is creating an amazing art park in Odisha, the state formerly known as Orissa. 

No comments:

Post a Comment